Caring for your earrings
All Helix & Conch earrings are made from 925 Sterling Silver (excluding the solid gold collection of course). Silver is very stable, however the metals it is alloyed with can react to their surroundings and how they are treated, which can create tarnish. This is more likely when they are exposed to water, chemicals, high temperatures or humidity.
Please be advised, gold plating loses its luster and fades with time. In general, plating can last for up to two years with proper care, see below for tips.
Caring For Your Earrings
- To help protect the plating and quality of your earrings, I recommend that you remove your earrings when you shower and take part in heavy exercise. Swimming in the sea or a chlorinated swimming pool is plated earrings' worst enemy and will over time affect them. I would also always recommend you take them out at bedtime.
- Avoid spraying perfume, applying creams or any other liquids directly onto your earrings..
How to Store Your Earrings
- I highly recommend that you store your earrings in the original Helix & Conch pouch provided or my Earring Box
- Ideally store your earrings a suitable distance from each other, so that they don't rub together or become tangled.
Cleaning Your Earrings
- To keep your earrings bright and remove the build-up of dirt and premature tarnish I recommend using a polishing cloth. I love this one from Cookson Gold. It is suitable for all colours and plated metals. Rub the piece in one direction rather than circular motions.
- Do not use tissue paper or paper towels to clean metal as they can cause scratching.
If you follow the above instructions and don't abuse your earrings, they will last much longer. Please note, the above instructions are for the plated pieces, the solid gold will never fade.